Senior Tax Accountant – Birmingham, AL
VALiNTRY’s CPA Division works exclusively in Public Accounting as a premier, nationwide provider of staffing services for Big 4, Large, Mid-size and Small firms. As a result, recent public accounting experience is required.
About this Opportunity:
We were organized in 1981 and are located in Birmingham, Alabama. We have grown to approximately 100 employees, including 19 partners and 45 CPA’s. We provide services to a wide array of clients in many industries including healthcare, manufacturing, not-for-profit, governmental, real estate development, construction, restaurants, distribution, financial institutions, and professional services.
Performs most work assigned with minimum of assistance. Often leads a number of staff accountants, instructs them in work to be performed, reviews the work done, and directs necessary revisions. Is able to make decision on all but the most unusual matters. When such problems arise, the senior accountant outlines them for the supervisor, manager, or shareholder and then acts on advice.
Is responsible for meeting time budgets on engagements and can lead staff accountants to employ methods that will accomplish objectives timely. Displays professional conduct showing, confidence and ease in the presence of staff and client representatives.
- Performs diversified accounting and tax assignments under the direction of supervisor, manager, and shareholder.
- Demonstrates competency in technical skills, work quality, and application of professional and firm standards.
- Meets time constraints and client deadlines.
- Participates in planning and scheduling client engagements.
- Directs and instructs assistants, where applicable, in work to be performed and work paper review.
- Prepares and indexes work papers; to document the procedures preferred and conclusions reached in the engagement.
- Performs the broadest range of accountant tasks so that direct participation of supervisors, managers, or shareholders is efficient and effective.
- Prepares other reports, projects, and duties as assigned.
- Knows, understands, and follows the firm’s policies and procedures.
- Possesses technical knowledge sufficient to supervise staff accountants.
- Begins acquiring the skills necessary to develop quality client relationships and loyalty.
- Assists with formal training programs.
- Maintains university contacts and participates in on-campus and office visits to recruit new staff.
- Grooms business contacts and participates in local community organizations to expand marketing network.
- Builds productive relationships with managers, supervisors, and shareholders by keeping them informed about work progress, and by adapting to various management styles.
- Begins developing a command of pertinent IRC sections and regulations; becomes proficient at tax research including a knowledge of the reference sources available by the firm; assumes responsibility for the supervision of tax return preparation engagements.
- Dedicated individual that values integrity, quality, and professionalism.
- Minimum of 2-5 years of experience in public accounting, demonstrating a progression in complexity of accounting tasks and tax knowledge.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or master’s degree in accounting from an accredited college or university
- Either holds a current and valid certified public accountant’s license or is working toward obtaining the license by taking and passing the CPA exam. If licensed, should be a member in good standing with the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and the Alabama Society of CPA’s (if applicable.)
- Proficiency in use of computers and computer accounting / tax software programs.
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting
CPA or CPA eligible
2-5 years experience
As a reminder, we can only represent candidates with recent public accounting experience. Thank you for understanding.