Staff Accountant – Birmingham AL
Staff Accountant I is responsible to be alert to the interest of clients and of the Firm and the profession. This requires the development of technical skills and personal qualifications, including the following:
- A well-rounded knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and generally accepted auditing standards as defined in accounting and auditing literature.
- A working knowledge of Federal and state income tax laws and regulations at a level sufficient for the preparation of tax returns.
- An awareness of current developments in the accounting profession.
- The ability to speak and write effectively.
- Professional appearance in attitude, dress, poise and conduct.
- Establishing a practice of accuracy in dealing with information (numeric and alphabetic).
- Develop proficiency in use of available resources (e.g., Firm manuals, computer software, etc.)
Some of the responsibilities of a staff accountant are listed below:
- Assist with the study and evaluation of internal accounting controls.
- Test compliance with internal controls when their evaluation has shown they can be relied upon if, in fact, they are working.
- Prepare financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Examine client reconciliations of bank accounts and investigate discrepancies.
- Examine client reconciliations of subsidiary accounts to controls.
- Schedule computations of accruals and document the underlying support for those accruals.
- Prepare schedule of write-offs of prepaid expenses and deferred charges.
College degree with a major or concentration in accounting Total of 150 hours of credit
Currently pursuing CPA License
Strong verbal and written communication skills Overnight travel will be necessary