Tax Manager – New York
The Manager possesses the ability to assume full responsibility for directing engagements and special assignments and has the enhanced capability of supervising a number of engagements simultaneously. The Manager oversees the performance of client service and all related activity. The Manager can perform all tasks related to client service and sees that assignments are accomplished by the engagement team within the budgeted time. This role takes on responsibility for the professional and technical development of the staff through on-the-job-interaction and leading in-house training. Additionally, the Manager has begun to develop a list of potential referral sources in an effort to bring new business to the firm and is involved in community activities for the purposes of business development and cross-selling the firm’s services. The manager should be developing expertise in one or more specific industry areas.
- Manage a list of clients and returns that need to be prepared, checked and or reviewed
- Make sure all due dates are maintained
- Correspond with clients as needed
- Involvement with outside industry groups
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge and proficiency in advanced technical skills necessary for advising clients.
- Complies with pronouncements of professional and other regulatory groups, and enlightens and teaches the impact of such pronouncements to all staff.
- Recognizes complex technical issues, uses strategic decision-making skills and reaches appropriate conclusions
- Develops industry expertise and stays abreast of industry news; contributes to staff development by sharing industry knowledge
- Recognizes complex technical issues, reaches appropriate conclusions and applies authority to support conclusions.
- Effectively communicates all technical material to clients, verbally and in writing
- Ensures top quality client service and oversees performance of engagement activity
- Participates in client related planning, including the preparation and ongoing management of budgets
- Recognizes needs and issues pertinent to client activity and follows through to implementation.
- Maintains designated chargeable hours for the year
- Maintains effective realization rates of fees
- Assists partner in managing effective billing and collections
- Appropriately manages risk and ensures quality control procedures are being executed on all engagement activities
- Ensures efficient and profitable execution of engagement financial management
- Builds client relationships; maintains smooth working relationship with clients and solicits client input on satisfaction
- Technically proficient with taxation of individuals, closely held companies
- Technically proficient with trust and esate work
- Focused on building a practice
- Generates new business annually, from new & existing clients
- Solicit internal experts from across the Firm to assist in marketing & selling firm services to existing clients
- Is actively involved in community, social, business and professional organizations, to generate referral sources
- Is actively involved in product development and product sales that will enhance market opportunities to generate revenue
- Actively promotes the Firm in all venues
- Represent the firm and area of expertise by making presentations at third party events.
- Participates in mentoring, training, recruiting, retention and team-building activities
- Effectively develops, supervises, trains, coaches, and mentors staff
- Completes performance reviews constructively and timely, both written and oral, as well as provides ongoing feedback throughout the performance year
- Effectively manages people with poise and professionalism during stressful times, especially during peak periods of client engagement and deadlines
- Maintains appropriate compliance with all firm wide and local office policies and procedures
- Promotes the most efficient operations of the Firm and supports compliance guidelines in managing others
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree
- CPA required
- 5-8 years in relevant position
License / Certification
- Must be a CPA and have RECENT experience working in a public accounting firm
- Must maintain required CPE credits annually